How to buy at Drouot ?
Presentation of the lots put up for auction
The objects are exhibited before the auction. During exhibitions, the auctioneers and their colleagues provide information on the objects and the estimates.
How to bid at an auction ?
There are four ways of taking part in the auction.
- If the bidder is present, a simple gesture for the attention of the auctioneer signifies a bid. In this case, the amount of the bid is left to the discretion of the auctioneer. If you wish to make a specific bid, you are advised to declare your amount aloud. The object will be awarded to the last bidder. The crier will then give you a slip that will allow you to take possession of your purchase after payment.
- If you are unable to be present at the auction, you can leave an absentee bid with the auctioneer or clerk during the exhibitions. This authorises the auctioneer to represent any person who is absent from the auction and to make a purchase on their behalf under the best terms.
- You can also bid over the phone. In this case, you should contact the auctioneer's office or auction house before the auction.
- Finally, it is possible to bid online on the Drouot.com, for live and online auctions.
How to bid on the Internet during live and online auctions ?
- A "live" auction is one conducted in an auction room but streamed live so that users can bid via the website.
It is also possible to leave an absentee bid in a maximum sum, which allows a bidder to attempt to purchase an object even though they know that they will not be available on the day of the auction.
- An online auction is one held solely on the Internet permitting bids from the placing online of the catalogue through to the end of the auction.
The commissions ?
In a voluntary sale, the sale price consists in the hammer price plus the buyer's premium, which is freely set by the auction house. The amount of the premium is shown on the auction web page under the "Information" tab.
In a judicial sale, the sale price consists in the hammer price plus legal fees, amounting to 14.40% including VAT.
How to pay for your purchases ?
Payment can be made in cash, by cheque, or with a credit card. On the Internet, the only payment method available is the credit card.
How to retrieve your purchases ?
Lots purchased at the Hôtel Drouot can be picked up for free in the auction room through until 10 a.m. the next day. Beyond that time, a storage fee is due. The Drouot auction place ou Hôtel Drouot offers a packaging, storage and shipping service.
For auctions not taking place at the Hôtel Drouot, contact the auction house
for storage conditions.