George Edmund Street (British 1824-1881), a set of four 'Klismos' oak side chairs, made by Gillow & Co. Lancaster
c.1880, all chairs stamped 'L12205' three chairs stamped 'Gillow & Co, Lancaster'
The carved and shaped backrests, above green leather seats with brass stud decoration, on curved tapering legs
each 89cm high, 46cm wide (4)
Literature: V&A, Museum no. W.8-1990, see similar example illustrated
Note: These chairs were designed as part of the original furnishings of the Law Courts in the Strand, which like the building itself, were all designed in the offices of George Edmond Street