Gazette Drouot logo print

Delage DI 12: The 1930s at Over 100 kph

Published on , by Caroline Legrand

Estimated at €40,000/70,000 in the sale staged by Osenat auction house in Rhinau, northeastern France, on Wednesday, January 26, this 1938 Delage DI 12 is one of the last roadster versions left.

Delage DI 12: The 1930s at Over 100 kph
 

It was discovered by its current owner in an Alsace antique dealer's shed in the 1980s. Despite the takeover of his company by Delahaye, Louis Delage (1874-1947) presented a new four-cylinder car called the "D12", replacing the D4, at the 1935 car show. Initially, produced with a body in sheet metal on wood by Autobineau, Citroën bodies began to be used in 1936. With its 2150 cc engine, this car can reach 110 kph (68 mph).

The Hispano-Suiza H6: Limousine of Kings

Published on , by Caroline Legrand

About a hundred cars from different local collections will come up for sale during a three-day online auction. The frontrunner is a rare 1921 Hispano-Suiza H6.

The Hispano-Suiza H6: Limousine of Kings

1921 Hispano-Suiza H6B
Estimate: €500,000/700,000

After an exhibition at the H. List aircraft factory, built by the Germans in 1941-1942 in Rhinau, Alsace, about 100 vehicles from different local collections will go up for sale online, due to Covid. The estimates range from a few hundred euros for motorcycles to €150,000/200,000 for a 1950 Talbot Lago T26 cabriolet and €700,000 for this 1921 Hispano-Suiza.

The Hispano-Suiza H6 was not only the car of kings, including Alfonso XIII of Spain and the king of Sweden but also of maharajas and the Rothschilds. From 1919 to 1933, 2,350 were made in several versions (A, B, C and Xenia). Model B, which came out in 1922, was more powerful than its predecessor with a displacement of seven liters—no small feat since the first version already boasted a straight-six 32 hp engine with an aluminum overhead camshaft allowing it to reach 130 kph, a record for the time.

In 1904, Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt and Spanish investors founded Hispano-Suiza in Barcelona. In 1907, the company introduced a luxurious car with a straight-six engine, but real success came during the war. Birkigt built a factory in Levallois, near Paris, that manufactured powerful, reliable V8 aircraft engines. The Hispano-Suiza H6, which features a stork, the emblem of airman Guynemer’s squadron, on the grille, met with high acclaim at the 1919 car show. It received praise for its power, innovative power-assisted brakes and lightness made possible by its steel cylinder blocks screwed into the aluminum engine block.

Our model was in Jean-Paul Dubroca’s family for 60 years. It has a wooden Skiff body with copper rivets by Duquesne in Tourcoing and was also in the collection of the head architect of civil buildings and national palaces and flying enthusiast Mr. Granet and his wife Geneviève Salles, Gustave Eiffel’s granddaughter.

Wednesday 26 January 2022 - 16:00 (CET) - Online
Rue de Boofzheim - 67860 Rhinau
Osenat
Gazette Drouot
La Gazette Drouot
La Drouot Gazette offers you 4Articles.
You still have 3 article(s) left to read.
I subscribe
Gazette Drouot