Gazette Drouot logo print
Lot n° 37

Salviati & Co. Venice, late 19th century, early...

Result :
Not available
Estimate :
Subscribers only

Salviati & Co. Venice, late 19th century, early 20th century. Cup. Blown glass and fine gold inclusions. Similar pieces published with photos in the book "L'Europe de L'Art Verrier" by Giuseppe Cappa, Editorial Mardaga. Pages 408 to 414. It has a certificate from the gallery where it was acquired in 1998. Measurements: 19,5 cm (height); 10 cm (largest diameter). The goblet is made of transparent blown glass in yellow tones, decorated with fine gold inclusions. The central part of the foot is a seahorse. From its technical characteristics we can attribute it to a master glassmaker of the Barovier or Fratelli Toso family. Antonio Salviati (Vicenza, 1816-1890) was an Italian lawyer and businessman, founder of a high-class Venetian glass factory, responsible for the revival of the Venetian glass industry in the 19th century. A lawyer by profession, in 1866 they formed a partnership with Austen Henry Layard, the archaeologist who discovered Nineveh, with whom they formed the company Società Salviati e Compagni, based in Venice. The Salviati company won several important commissions, such as the mosaics for the back of the high altar in Westminster Abbey (1867), the ceiling of the Albert Memorial Chapel in Windsor Castle and the Palatine Chapel in Aachen (1870-1875). In 1876 he separated from his English partners and founded a new company which, in addition to mosaics, produced ornamental and table glass in a high quality Renaissance style. In the 1870s he also produced pieces in imitation of ancient Roman glass. His company took part in all the universal exhibitions at the end of the 19th century.

Auction's title
Auction's date
Auction location