CLEMENT BAYARD - 1909
Type A.C. 4P double phaeton.
Power of 8 horses.
Date of construction : 1909
1st Registration in Limoges by Mr René Maréchal in 1910
Chassis number : 10 689
Engine number : 9190
This Clément-Bayard type A.C. 4P, with a double phaeton body that can accommodate four passengers, is powered by a four-cylinder engine coupled to a 3-speed gearbox with reverse gear. It has black leather upholstered seats, separated in the front and in the form of a bench in the rear all upholstered. It is equipped with its hood. The body is green, the fenders are black with red stripes.
This car was part of the Collection of Mr. Philippe Charbonneaux exposed to the Automobile Museum of Reims, then in the same family since 1992.
Maintenance invoices available.
The Adolphe Clément company founded its success in the cycle industry and tire distribution, holding the Dunlop license for France. Adolphe Clément diversified into car manufacturing in 1899 with small cars. Prevented from giving the name Clément to the cars he manufactured, he adopted the name Bayard, that of a French hero of the Middle Ages whose statue stood in front of the factory of his Mézières subsidiary, and officially took the name Clément-Bayard.
Clément-Bayard was a pioneer in vertical integration, relying very little on outside suppliers. The foundry and heavy engineering were done in Mézières and the bodies were manufactured in workshops near the Levallois plant. Clément-Bayard products were well built and elegant, aimed at a wealthy middle class. In 1904, the Levallois-Perret plant employed nearly 1,600 people who built about 1,200 cars each year. The cars were built until 1922.