EXCEPTIONAL SET OF THREE IMPORTANT WINDOWS
OF THE BUILDING OF THE DAILY NEWSPAPER "LE PETIT PARISIEN"
Mousseline glass, stained glass, painted glass, lead .
. One showing the newspaper Le Petit Journal on the presses, signed in a cartouche G. Hagnauer, 17, rue Cail, Paris.
Height. 2.70 m; Width. 2.26 cm.
. One depicting rotary presses surmounted by the number 4 in a cartouche probably indicating the floor.
Height. 2.70 m; Width. 2,26 cm.
A few missing pieces and accidents. One, curved, featuring a modern city and rotary presses, topped by the winged globe, emblem of the Petit Parisien.
Height. 2,70 m; Width. 6,65 cm.
A few chips and accidents c. 1920.
. Journal Le Petit Parisien, Paris, 18-20, rue d'Enghien, Paris, 10th arrondissement.
. Private collection, Burgundy, France.
At the turn of the twentieth century, the entire press, then at its peak, gathered in a single district, that of the Grand Boulevards, while information became global.
Le Petit Journal spread its building on rue Lafayette, L'Illustration on rue Saint-Georges, Le Figaro and Le Gaulois on rue Drouot, La Petite
République on rue de la Chaussée-d'Antin, Le Petit Parisien on rue d'Enghien, Le Journal on rue de Richelieu, La Libre Parole, boulevard
Montmartre, Le Matin, boulevard Poissonnière, L'Aurore, rue Montmartre, L'Écho de Paris, place de l'Opéra, La Presse and Le Journal des Voyages, rue du Croissant, where L'Humanité joined them after leaving its first premises in rue Montmartre.
In 1912, Le Temps left the boulevard des Italiens for the rue des Italiens (where Le Monde would succeed it). Soon
L'Intransigeant, Paris-Soir, Paris-Match, France-Soir would come.
The big regional dailies also had prestigious representative offices, such as La Dépêche de Toulouse on rue du Faubourg-Montmartre. In 1912, these newspapers joined forces to create a huge "Hall des grands régionaux" at 25, boulevard Poissonnière.
Sumptuous buildings show the power of companies that, on the eve of the First World War, print 9 million copies daily. Each one tries to be noticed by passers-by. The façade of the Matin building, for example, is painted red. In vast halls, curious people consulted the advertisements, looked at the illustrations, and bought objects.
Sandwich men and advertising vehicles roam the streets, celebrating the various titles, while criers shout out the news on the front page (Le Petit Journal alone employs more than 3,000).
The newspaper offices are also industrial sites. A hundred or so letterpress printers are present in the neighborhood, spilling over the Canal Saint-Martin, mingling with paper makers, ink and machine manufacturers, poster makers, lithographers and type founders. In addition to the 3,400 Parisian journalists (55% of French journalists), there were also tens of thousands of workers, employees and shopkeepers whose activity depended on the newspapers.
Until the beginning of the 19th century, the Parisian printing industry was located on the left bank, around the University. It is the quest for information that pushes newspapers to move to the right bank. Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau was the central post office from which foreign newspapers, correspondence and, from 1840, telegraphic dispatches arrived - while the Brongniart Palace, inaugurated in 1826, became the center of a growing stock market activity and demand for information. In 1832, Charles-Louis
Havas logically set up his news agency on rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau (it moved to rue Notre-Dame-des-Victoires in 1875 and then to place de la Bourse in 1896, where Agence France-Presse is located today). In 1836, Émile de Girardin set up the offices of La Presse, the emblematic title of the new press, full of advertisements and soap operas, on rue Saint-Georges.
Around 1880, it was the turn of the telephone "exchanges" to settle on avenue de l'Opéra, while the large buildings of the Central Post Office (inaugurated in 1888) were rebuilt.
For the same reason, the district allows to diffuse easily the copies. From the central Post office leave the subscriptions in direction of the province. The large warehouses of the Hachette messenger companies were set up on rue Paul-Long or rue d'Hauteville, between
Le Petit Parisien and Le Petit Journal, before being brought together in a vast building on rue Réaumur.
Le Petit Parisien by Louis Andrieux, radical deputy, on October 16, 1876 with Jules Roche, editor in chief. With a rather anticlerical and radical (left) tendency, seeking scandal and sensationalism, it quickly became popular, while experiencing financial setbacks. In 1883, Jean Dupuy, a wealthy businessman, bought the building at 18, rue d'Enghien, which he rented to the newspaper, of which he became the most