17th and 18th-century silverware pieces with Parisian and provincial hallmarks.
Étienne-Hème Maisonrouge (admitted as master in 1722), silver ewer with ovolo-molded pedestal and baluster-shaped body, appliqué decoration of reeds and lambrequins on a matt background, weight 1,180 g/41.6 oz, h. 26.5 cm/10.4 in.
There are many ewers in life: finally, it was not the one on the cover of Gazette no. 31 that graced this sale, as it was withdrawn, but a Parisian model also from the early 18th century. This silver ewer, standing on a pedestal with molded ovolos, with a body decorated in appliqué reeds and lambrequins, was hallmarked between 1728 and 1729 and made by the master silversmith Etienne-Hème Maisonrouge, admitted in 1722. It fetched €140,800: a fine result for an object that has an equivalent with several faces, of similar inspiration, in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. Next came the candlelight era. A pair of candlesticks "à la financière", hallmarked in Saint-Omer in 1682, garnered €96,000, and their cousins from Rennes of 1676-1681 €79,360. The appeal of this type of candlestick lies in its square design, marking a stylistic break from previous models and their fluted shafts. Collectors have an undeniable desire for these characteristic Louis XIV pieces: a solitary and even older Parisian example of 1659-1660 also found a buyer at €79,360. The silversmith who made it was Antoine II Béguin, admitted as master in 1659. We continue with a very pure-lined ewer or water pot with a hammered, bulb-shaped body, extended by a long neck with a simple row of molded beads. Made in Reims between 1671 and 1672 by Gérard Le Tourneur, a master cited in the capital of Champagne in 1662, this fetched €76,800. The sale took place under the chiseled gaze of a silversmith holding a coffee pot with appliqué work, probably Claude II Ballin (1661-1754), nephew of the man who provided a great deal of silver furniture to the Sun King and drew the piece, thus preserving a trace after it was melted down. The painting (95 x 71 cm/37.4 x 28 in), attributed to the Hungarian painter Jan Kupecky (1667-1740), garnered €7,040.